Need more information?  See the answers to some of the most common questions below.

What do I do if I have lost my username and/or password?

DO NOT CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT!!  On the login page, there are options to recover both your username and password.  If you forgot your password and did NOT provide an email address when you registered, you must call the Refuge office at (318) 574-2664 x0.


I did not enter an email address when I registered for an account.  Do I need one?

YES.  You can add an email address even after registering by logging in and choosing "Manage Account" under the "My Account" tab/dropdown menu.  We highly recommend providing an email address since this will enable you to receive notifications from the refuge and your account.  If you do not have an email address, you may enter someone else's email who can keep you updated of your status.


How do I apply for a lottery hunt as a group?

Applying as a group is a little different with this new system.  All group members must have an individual account (with an email address!!).  When the first group member applies, they will need to select "Create a group entry" on the first dropdown menu ("How are you entering?)".  With that selected, they will be provided with a group number to go along with their application.  THE GROUP LEADER MUST PROVIDE THIS NUMBER TO ALL OTHER MEMBERS OF HIS/HER GROUP.  When other group members apply, they will  select "Join an existing group entry" at the first dropdown menu


Can I get my Annual Public Use Permit anywhere other than online?

YES.  You may also purchase permits in person at the Visitor Center.  You MUST have a MONEY ORDER made out to US Fish and Wildlife Service..  Although permits will be available at the Visitor Center, we STRONGLY encourage you to purchase your permits online in advance.  We cannot guarantee staff availability and the Visitor Center is only open Monday-Friday, 8 am to 4 pm with the exception of federal holidays. Please call ahead to make sure someone is avaliable.


What do I need to carry with me when hunting or fishing on the Refuge?

Your iSportsman Permit (which will contain your Annual Public Use Permit AND your lottery hunt permit if you are participating), your orange Daily Visitor Use Card, and all required state license(s) and tags.  Your Annual Public Use Permit is now separate from the Regulations brochure, but by purchasing the permit you acknowledge that you have read and understand the rules and regulations contained in the brochure and agree to abide by them.  We still STRONGLY encourage you to carry a brochure with you in the field to answer any questions you may have or to provide access to the map. 


I am a squirrel hunter, bow hunter, or fisherman who has never had to purchase a permit.  Do I need to purchase an Annual Public Use Permit?

YES.  Everyone who participates in ANY hunting or fishing season on the Refuge MUST now purchase an Annual Public Use Permit for $20.  However, you no longer have to purchase an ATV permit.  Additionally, if you apply for and get drawn for a lottery deer hunt, you will not need to pay any additional money for your lottery permit beyond the Annual Public Use Permit.  As long as you have your Annual Public Use Permit, you may use any legal ATV according to regulations found in the brochure without having an additional sticker.


I want to use an ATV on the Refuge.  Do I still need an ATV sticker permit?

NO.  All that you need to use an ATV on designated trails is an Annual Public Use Permit.  You no longer have to purchase an ATV permit and place a sticker on your ATV.  As long as you have your Annual Public Use Permit in your possession, you may use any legal ATV on designated trails in compliance with all regulations found in the brochure.


Do you still have questions?  If so, give us a call at the office!  Call (318) 574-2664 and dial 0 to speak with an available staff member.  Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 am to 4 pm, with the exception of Federal Holidays.  We will be happy to assist you!